Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What were your big leaps in audio

OMG, I have to answer this.
#1. Reading the review of the KLH Model 20 Compact System. It brought home the point that the collection of pieces is a system, and needs to be engineered as a SYSTEM, not a collection of pieces. The principles of Systems Engineering take precedence here over cost, reviews, etc.
#2. An hour spent in a hotel bar with Chuck McShane (the uncle of our McShane)who was the Director of Research for AR at the time. He was the featured speaker at our professional society meeting, and I went early and prevailed on him pre-meeting. It took us half an hour for me to un-learn all the things I though I knew. His patience with me was wonderful, and I thank him to this day for his kindness and the insights he gave me.
#3 The Bose 14 page brochure for their 1801 amplifier. In there was an expression for the effect of amplifier & cable impedance on speaker frequency response. I transformed that into a real equation and saw that amplifier output impedance and cable impedance interact with the modulus of speaker impedance to shift frequency response.
#4 Some experiments run on the audibility of low frequencies with and without the effect of room surface and seating vibration induced by the speakers.
#5 Roy Allison's experiments and papers on room boundary effects on speakers.

There were others, of course; but those are the most important, and they are listed in order of importance to me.

What, and how you, learned about the science and practice of audio has a major effect on how good your system sounds.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.