Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Scott 130 preamp rebuild.

" This is an upscale vintage preamp I have taken a recent shine to..While I have rebuilt a couple LC21s and a three of these over the years,this is the first time this was undertaken with a mostly film cap power supply...The wima up in the corner is a 30uf and the grays ones are 35uf unlytic polys..The pyramid coupling caps that were in here originally were actually quite good but I like a little more focus and detail so a combo of K40s Solen film and tin foil as well as Mallorys were used..There are still more caps to be changed
which will be done but you don't have to change the center channel coupler or the tape monitor coupler if you don't use them.
Anyway,this preamp is very dynamic,very open,and has beautiful balance all thru the spectrum..The potential of these preamp seems to know no boundaries as I don't think I have ever heard one any more quiet than this..The signal to noise ratio after putting in good metal film plate resistors along with the film cap power supply and a pair 4700uf nichicons in the filament circuit does the trick..I like good film and foil caps where the voltage is low and the k40s where the voltage is 100v plus.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 08/17/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Scott 130 preamp rebuild. - Michael Samra 22:56:05 08/17/14 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.