Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

FINALLY figured out a way to add volume remote control to a vintage stereo

This was bugging me for about a year now. My source is a Marantz NA7004 network player. I listen to six different channels, all classical, all VERY!!!!! different volumes. And some days the volume changes on the stations itself. a Big problem for a lazy man!

After fooling around with various attenuators I finally came up with a proper source attenuator. One that does NOT rolloff the top and bottom end. And one that does not cause loss of dynamics.

Finally (many many steps not mentioned) looked towards stepped attenuators. I finally settled on a 50K resistor in line with the signal and a IR 47K Alps volume control I bought from Bent audio. The Bent audio remote is the variable shunt resistor to ground. Works beautifully!

And yes I plan on building a prettier box for the control and not the nest of wires on the test block. Although the rats nest does have a certain appeal????????

charles

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - FINALLY figured out a way to add volume remote control to a vintage stereo - airtime 09:54:22 08/17/14 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.