Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I will second that statement in a big way.

The 340a is an excellent receiver and does not take a back seat to the 500c..The 500c has a cool tuner with the stereo beacon that locks in with a nice click and is a quiet tuner however,the 340B is no slouch as a tuner and the amplifier in the 340b is more dynamic, and much more supple than the 500c as well as being more linear.Most of this is due the driver circuit in the amp which is the 6U8 pentode/triode as opposed to the fisher which uses a 12AX7 to drive the 7591s..I am in the process of implementing the 6U8 driver in one of the 500c receivers I have.
The 12AX7 can drive a PP set of 7591s in pentode but they should have chosen the 6U8/6GH8 as driver because that is probably biggest difference between the 500c and 340b.
The reason you don't hear much about the Scott 340b in the audiophile community is because it lives in the shadow of it's older brother,the 340a which also has two GZ34s and the 350b tuner section and dial.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 08/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.