Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: subwoofer issue

Hi,

Just to give my "0" cents here.

I am not a favorite of subs but they do serve a purpose of that extra "umph" when needed in home theater use. I never liked them for music but can be rewarding if low, low end is what you like and don't care much about accuracy. Many like them but also don't know what issues they cause in music listening.

I am also not a favorite of multiple driver speaker systems. I like one driver to do the full range and maybe a super tweeter with one cap to do the highest frequencies and I do use the word "maybe"! Not much to hear past about 12K anyway or below 80. The rest is just there but really not there. The coherency of a single driver system is much greater but there are limitations.

Subs to me are fun but not for real music listening. I know there are lots of you out there that will disagree and I can't tell someone what they hear or not hear. I just know what I like to hear. If you really want to hear bass through your existing system get an EQ or a receiver(or the equivalent) that has tone controls. To me even though the "purists" won't agree, is the best way to add that extra into the listening.

With that said, HAVE FUN! That's what it's all about.

I forgot to say that if your landlord or tenants hear the bass then it is up too far anyway. It should be a natural blend with the full range speakers you have. Just a hint of extra. Not crash boom bang. If you hear a car door close and it sounds like we just bombed a country then you are way off.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.