Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Melty Heathkit AA-151 ?

I'm just finishing up my first rebuild a Knight KB85. Well with directions from Samra's post on this forum. Just awaiting two caps in the mail and it will be done. Now I'm looking at my AA-151. Honestly I should have started with the 151..

I brought the 151 up slowly on the variac and no sign of troubles. No smoke. No smells. No abnormal tube glow. I let it play about 15sec. It actually sounded decent. No hum just music. I shut it down and drained the caps. Then I noticed some of the wires were a tad melty in many places. That can't be good. I don't believe this was the case beforehand.

I'm going to start with the electrolytics. 30uf-30uf@350v and 60uf-25uf@500v-450v. Haven't found exact values but have gotten close. If someone else has been down this road before what is the most critical parts to replace next? Any advice appreciated.

High sensitivity, wide dynamic range, low distortion, and smooth frequency response. Pwk

http://www.itishifi.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Melty Heathkit AA-151 ? - Iain42 11:05:29 08/10/14 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.