Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Well I just won a vintage...

You are right as root place of manufacturer. That was where the Magnavox plant was located. It was totally a Magnavox design and was ordered into production but before it started, the company was taken over and the series rebadged to Philips.

Seems like a lifetime ago when I happened upon the first of the series and other than TIC with the review of the 673 tuner there was with the exception of a static Web Page referencing the separates of the series nothing about them. I tried to trace some history as the sound and guts were impressive. No one associated with Philips US even knew they were ever made. I did finally run down a rather elderly person who worked in TN at the plant and while not on that project knew of it and had some remaining memories. The impending sale caught all by surprise as it looked like the company had a winner and could turn it around. The engineering team was let go not long after and hence no further development of the series. Philips tried to capitalize on the series that had been relatively well received in the US by expanding the tuner offering and adding integrated amps with all but the largest integrated being manufactured offshore. Not certain but, suspect the engineering was also offshore. Radioactive, over on AK has or had a couple of the other turners and integrated amps. By '81 with a 4 year run under its belt, Philips killed the line in the US but kept the series in Europe for a few years with totally different units. There also appeared to be that Philips offered the tuners offshore tuners and integrated amps in Europe with out the series designation.

Philips had a potential winner in the US where other than its turntable could not get much traction. It should have exchanged the looks of its totl reel to reel and cassette decks and kicked the 212 up a notch so they looked like the series and labeled them as such. It could have done more with the mfb speakers and regular speakers by associating them, also. The company was just going in too many marketing and product directions confusing dealers thereby limiting customer access.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Well I just won a vintage... - Brian Levy 08:31:54 08/02/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.