Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What is "Vintage"?

I would have to say it is an age thing. After all, I'm vintage at my age. I'm not giving out that information but trust me, I'm vintage! What age is considered vintage I would guess be a suggestive term unless somebody comes out with a finite age and we all agree and stick to it. I do have to say though that the earlier tube car radios and the very early juke boxes to me would be in the vintage category.

Now! When it comes to cars over 20 years they are considered "Classic." But another criteria exists with that. Desirability! A four door Cadillac 20 years or more in my eyes would not be considered "Classic." But to another it might. I would have to guess on how many four doors would be desired but the 20 year age determines "Classic" and that stands. But no one ever used the term vintage on a 20 year old vehicle. I use the term but that is to cars, amps, preamps, etc. to be vintage if they are at least 40 years old. But who says I'm right?

On the other hand I would consider and old Mac, Dynaco, Marantz solid state to be vintage but not "Classic" because of the desirability thing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What is "Vintage"? - xaudiomanx 13:45:34 08/01/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.