Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Which Sherwood S-5000?

I'm glad we have this discussion on Sherwoods..If you remember 4 or 5 years back,people people would gawked and say,why would want a Sherwood of all amps..Then,with the rebuilds you and I do on these and even before in a good running unit,people are amazed at how they sound..Then again,all Sherwood ever did was build integrated amps and receivers outside of the S-360.
Don,I haven't found many too separate amp and preamp combos within the power rating of the Sherwood run with the Sherwood once rebuilt..I'm speaking mostly of the Dynaco ST-70 and PAS3 as well a few others but definitely the Sherwood will outrun the Fisher 500c or Scott 299 sonically..I think the type of metal in the chassis,the ground scheme,and the one extra tube in the preamp line stage gives us a bit more flexibility to make these things sing.I also love the 7199 for driving 7189s...You couldn't ask for a better tube in an integrated amp of that size.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.