Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Akai AA-R22/L Receiver question

What JonM said pretty much sums it up. Just 1 thing to add as to the phone preamp low end. Arms/cartridges have low end resonances that if the phono preamp went all the down as far as the amp preamp a double amp can be very disturbing and even nasty. These resonances as to frequency depend on the total turntable system but in the 6-12 hz range is not at all uncommon for the average table system. The high end of the phone preamp is not uncommon to have a limit in the 15k and even some rolloff before to reduce record hiss and pops with the average consumer system. While for many of us nutcase here find such a limit objectionable, the average buyer back then found the sound to be better because it did not make those terrible noises.

Do not fret over the specs. Listen and decide for yourself if you like the sound. It is not uncommon that a unit with "lesser" specs may sound better in a system. I experienced it and while years ago fretted over the specs just gave up. Right now I am listening to an amp with what to many would be terrible distortion figures but in concert with the speakers it is more satisfying than most of the amp's with far better specs sitting inhouse. It just mates better with the speakers.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Akai AA-R22/L Receiver question - Brian Levy 07:24:52 07/30/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.