Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Akai AA-R22/L Receiver question

Those sound plausible to me. They are measuring different circuits different ways.

Output power is typically rated 20-20k, and the fact that this is RMS at .05% THD says they didn't skimp on the power supply (no "peak music power" here!).

The aux/tape rating is for a line level circuit, much easier to make flat across a wide frequency range. (That 5 Hz low frequency rating tells me there are probably no capacitors in series with the signal, also a good sign.)

And the phono stage incorporates a RIAA equalization circuit that is actually pretty difficult to make *really* accurate unless you spend more than a typical mass market receiver can justify. Also, most vinyl LP's don't go much below 30 Hz (low frequencies cause large groove excursions that reduce playing time), and you actually want to roll off below 20 Hz (to reduce the effect of record warps). Above 15 KHz, rolling off is not necessaily a bad idea either - there's not much content in the grooves above 15 kHz, and inexpensive cartridges of the day could mistrack, so rolling off the ultrasonic garbage that resulted can help clean up the signal that gets sent to the power amp and speakers.

"Specsmanship" in the 1970's and 80's made for some absurd specs on some cheaply made equipment. But I'd say the numbers you quote are believable for a reasonably well engineered mass market piece of electronics.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.