Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Which Sherwood S-5000?

I won't argue with Mike's pick as it would be mine also. I had the S5000II and it too kicks almost anything in town so it boils down to more the power than anything else. BTW, there is the S5000 and S5000II. The problem with the S5000II is there are more than a few variants from simple production run changes/experiments to output tubes. Sherwood back then made what they considered a great circuit design and then just kept it, updating it. The S3000 had 4 versions but each had either a major change such as stereo adaptability or built in or changes.like from one the tuning round eye to the bar to the meter so there are the 5 differentiated versions, the first with no numeral and the rest with Roman numerals.

Then to confuse things they went ss and the replacement for the S3000 only has 1 designation, S3300 though there is the all silicon, fet and fet/microcircuit versions. You can only tell which is which from the dial plate or getting under the hood. The S9500 ss amp, though has 1 unfettered version and 3 lettered versions with, strangely enough the first lettered version being the S9500a. Trying to follow early Sherwood units is like trying to catch the fog with a mosquito net.

Even their model coding can drive one nutty. The S5000 is the more upscale tube amp than the higher numbered S5500 and the S9000 was their highest powered 1st gen ss but the lowest powered is the S9500 and the middle amp is the S9600. I thing the engineers just hated annual model changes that might indicate the prior generation was not as good a design or really hated the marketing department.

Today my Sherwoods knocked out all the remaining competitors trialed to date in my ongoing system mating project. Tomorrow I will be putting them against the remainder of those who have made previous cuts but based on the prior listening experiences there is little hope any of the remaining units will survive to the next round leaving the final contenders to be competing Sherwoods. A few months ago, I'd have bet against either making it this far, never mind both. Both that I expected to be in the final match hit the skids today.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Which Sherwood S-5000? - Brian Levy 18:46:31 07/26/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.