Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: A Tale of Two Luxmans

Well, I listened more last night and listened again tonight. This pre succeeds in making my tube amp sound ordinary. I don't have the best hearing and I don't know if that makes me easier or harder to please. I really had to listen through a variety of inputs. If you've ever seen counterfeit money and the first time you look at it you know somethings wrong, but more looking and trying to convince yourself that it's okay never quite makes it okay, that's the feeling I have with this pre.
Finally I switched the Yamaha C6 back in and that confirmed my feelings.
The C6 is a much, much better preamp, IMHO.
What a difference from the R-115 receiver. They may look similar, but sound a world apart. Regarding the mute relay on the 115, mine also functions normally after a few minutes warmup. I have tried turning it off/on several times to kick it closed and increased the volume the give it more voltage, but it just seems to need the warmup to stabilize the circuit.
BTW, I would like to own a Mac someday, but they just never turn up at the thrifts!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.