Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Ranked as...

A General purpose small system Receiver: 7/10
PREOUTS good to connect to other devices - bigger poweramp (just as you plan)
My son still uses mine at college in this way - Computer input and a new (for him) Turntable. (FYI with my similar era Boston A40 speaks and a Yamaha 10inch Sub)

A FM Only Tuner: 4/10 - the tuner drifts - when center tuned the sound is really good, a high frequency roll off to reject noise. rejection is acceptable - not a bad big city tuner. A tuned up Dyna FM5 is a bit better - and has a single aux input (preamp? - Dyna sold a tuner card and there are other preamp designs that could be inserted in the FM relatively empty Chassis.

A phono preamp: Just Ok - it got high reviews but it wasn't as good as the reviews or as good in my system as the DH101 or Kenwood KA7300 that preceded it. Not bad with a Grado Cartridge. It's circuit highlight was to sound similar with various cartridge loads - that's fine - but the overload point is a little low for a higher output cartridge - and audiophile dynamic records.

As an integrated or Rear channel Power Amp: I think the power amp is the best feature of this little guy - it is quiet, drives loads from MMG's to Quads, Advent Large and others. Does not clip harshly - and its output is similar to a 30-40 Watt Japanese Receiver of the same era.

I still love the simple design and use of the unit. It still wears well today.
"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ranked as... - BigguyinATL 13:59:36 07/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.