Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

A differing opinion

I used to see those 4x's all over the place at yard sales and even at the dump. Never did like them, though the cabinets are solid and well made.
Having said that, if they sound good to you then that's all that counts.

So, if, as I said, they sound good and reasonably equal I would restore the cabinets cosmetically and not worry about the mismatched drivers for now. You can buy new grill cloth and recover the grill frames. You can paint the cabinet fronts and sand/refinish the rest. You can replace the tweeter level control or just bypass it. (AR used a black sealant around the drivers that can still be flexible to this day but it holds like cement, making it hard to get the drivers out).

Then when you are done with the cosmetic restoration, sit back and enjoy your speakers. Then keep an eye out for others, either single 'orphans' or pairs, especially ones with damaged cabinets, but don't pay too much. Then harvest the drivers and put the best original drivers in your nice cabinets.

good luck,
--Matt
"When you think everything is someone else's fault, you will suffer a lot."
--Dalai Lama

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A differing opinion - realistico 07:36:32 07/08/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.