Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Search using Marantz Esotec

Your unit is a very fine preamp and part of the Esotec series. In the late 1970s Marantz was struggling to compete (perhaps ever since the 10B tuner) and decided to introduce a premium product line. Sort of like Lexus is Toyota's premium line. These were some of the final units designed in the US, manufactured in Japan, just before Marantz was sold to Philips. Often vintage collectors look down on Marantz gear when the model designation begins with letters instead of numbers. Esotec gear is clearly an exception to that general rule.

This was their next to TOTL preamp. There was also a SC-9 (see link). I have a small collection of Esotec gear, and all of them are very nice. My PM-4 amplifier also does not include the Esotec designation, only Marantz and PM-4. I have never understood why. Maybe units destined for the US were so labeled, and international ones were not. All of my units have a switch on the rear to adapt for international voltages. Some of these may have been bought by military persons in a PX overseas.

I have no connection to the seller in the link. You can tell the resemblance. See also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARANTZ-SC-7-Preamplifier-PreAmp/291180572543

I'm sure you will enjoy all these units. Reel to reel is fun also.

rtbarr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.