Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Can Not Go Smaller

After settling on the main system, I went after the desk system, trying The Smaller Advent Loudspeakers against the ADS. As this is for a desk, while the Advents really aquitted themselves well, the ADS were a more logical choice. I had found the ADS previously did wonderfully with the small Philips 785 making a nice fairly small package. With both speakers it boiled down to more a total subjective response than anything else. The Philips, Yamaha, Sony, H-K and, Sherwoods all sound different with them but, not better or worse. Sitting on the shelf virtually never used is the Philips 796, physiclly as large as the 797, same layout and even the same printed circuit boards, just stuffed differently. It is 45 watts vs the 60 of the 797 so for me with the 30 watt 785 and the 797 it has been more an orphan than anything else. I decided though it is large to pull it and give it a shot. It does all the 785 does for the ADS but in almost every way a hair better. Just enough to pull ahead of the other amps. The Smaller Advents, like the originals has a bit of a bass bias that the 796 tames nicely without losing it. So, while it will remain with the ADS for the desk system for now, I have found it is my preference for the Advents (including the OLAs that I tried it with after), while the 785 gets the nod for the ADS as it makes for a smaller package with virtually no loss of sound quality.

So, it seems after years, the Philips finally outshone the others for my speakers, listening taste and room. A clean sweep.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Can Not Go Smaller - Brian Levy 07:39:22 07/03/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.