Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

TD124 V TD125

Dave,
I've used either a TD124 MK1 or MK2 for a long time but one other time I switched over to the TD125 MK2 I thought the sound was very much like the TD124's at a fraction of the cost. Then I put the TD124 back in because I have it.
When I switched setups, amp/preamp and speakers, I noticed that the sound was a bit thick in the lower registers yet the detail and snap was all there.
One night for the heck of it I swapped out the TD124 for the TD125. The TD125 has the same arm and cartridge that the TD124 had on it.
The sound was less thick and it retained the detail and snap.
I suspect the EV Esquire 200's are a bit bass thick due to the design and/or their current placement and that the SME and AT cartridge
just act differently in the TD125. (resonances)
I have yet to switch back to the TD124 because I wanted to get real used to the TD125 but I could certainly live with the TD125 very easily.
I'm tired of "tweaking" and spending money so changing plinths isn't in the cards for me. It's now, either it sounds good as is or it doesn't.
I will keep one TD124 though just in case.
In my case I also suspect that after 30 some odd years of listening to 7591 amp's with horns, I've fallen victim to the EL84 sound and the cone mids and horn tweeters in the Esquires. (7189A in the Scott 299A)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • TD124 V TD125 - DaveV 13:51:06 07/02/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.