Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Can Not Go Smaller

Finally, done, completed. Not sure I succeeded or failed, guess time will tell.

Finally got the strength and energy to get rid of the poly caps that I installed a few years ago and put in some closely matched oil caps, glass encapsulated originally in some military test equipment according to the seller. Let the speakers run for about 36 hours before doing anything serious with them. The Wharfedale W70s as with many Wharfedale are very capacitor sensitive. The speakers were designed in the tube days and are not designed for high volume, high power, current unless you like replacing tweeters. Their tweeter, the SuperTweeter is a cone driver with a huge motor assembly and when performing right can run circles around most other tweeter in the sound but, do not forget out to light speed.

I had gone through quite a number of speakers and amp combinations over the past couple of months and had things sorted out, or so I thought. I started with those that because of their mating with other speakers were the keepers. Everyone of them disappointed save the Philips 785. This receiver was the best of the lot with the ADS L300s and acquitted itself quiet well with my Heresy IIs but, the bass with the HIIs was not as pronounced as with others, there but more in the background.

The much loved Sherwood SEL200, S3300 And S9500c all failed which is surprising as their tube units used to be a well loved combo back in the old days.

The Sony STR6045 and H-K 630 did better while the JVC J-RS301 did so bad it hurt. The little Sony ST5055, T1055 had a similar sound as the STR6045 but, had slightly better detail and balance. The Yamaha CA610II using the -6db direct option making it about a 12 watt amp, maybe Class A did very well, reminding me of some of the tube combos I had on my previously owned W70Ds years Ago. But, the dynamics and life was somewhat stripped out. However, in an apartment the combo might be the answer. I did not try either the Sony STR6120 or Philips 796 or 797. These Results big receivers and totally contrary to what my goal of physically downsizing was.

The Yamaha presents a problem for me. The speaker terminals are made such that I can not connect my Koss ESP9 wiring to it unless I cut off the terminators on the side harness, something I prefer not doing.

I finally pulled the Sony STR6120 and gave it a run. It showed just how good it really is. A home run except like the other Songs, it did not quite get the air, the balance right. The bass was good but a bit too pronounced. I could tame it pretty well the the fantastic bass tone control but, not quite. The high end lost some of the light air it is known for and was shown with the Yamaha. Overall, though, it trumped all but the Yamaha and Philips 785 that each had its own positives.

As the Sony now was the likely winner and now size was out the Window as a goal I pulled the Philips 797. After a day going back and forth the Philips 797 was the winner. It folded on the best of the Yamaha, Philips 785 and STR6120 with the Wharfedales and was tied with it on the Heresy IIs. For the first time in the years I have owned the Philips and Sony the tie was broken in favor of the Philips due to the Wharfedales. Right now I am listening to some classical through the FM and the violins are bang on. It has been too long but I seem to remember my KLH Nines with the Marantz 9s giving me the same response to the violins.

The final system will be the Philips 797 with both the Wharfedales W70s and the Klipsch Heresy IIz, Koss ESP9b, Thorens TD160, ADC XLM MK II Super , and a test to be determined dvd/cx player, like the Sony. As the Philips provides for 3 sets of speakers, I can have Another through the Koss box so, may add the ADS L300 into the mix.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Can Not Go Smaller - Brian Levy 09:15:01 07/01/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.