Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: JBL 4313 question

The 4313 is the professional equivalent of the L110 consumer model. They, and the later 4313B (L-110A) are wired out of phase as compared to the usual convention of a positive voltage on the red terminal giving an outward cone motion on the woofer.

Those are really excellent speakers with a mostly first order crossover, compensated for flat impedance and minimal phase shift. For their own reasons, JBL built quite a few models prior to 1980 with reversed phase, and there is a JBL technote to that effect. I had L-110's and did reverse the phase and installed 5 way binding posts on 3/4" centers at the same time, so I could use dual banana plugs on the speaker cables. The JBL connectors are designed for bare wires with an unusual put the wire in the hole and twist the connector to lock. If the wire is too fat, or too stiff, the connectors can break.

Brian mentioned that some systems invert the midrange phase relative to the woofer, and the 4313 is one of those. In this speaker, that is done because the high pass filter on the mid is 2nd order which inverts the phase. So the mid plays in phase with the woofer. The tweeter is in phase with the woofer. The 4313 crossover is quite complex for a mostly first order speaker and has something like 15 components, all of high quality. I have basically dismantled mine and have a pair of good tweeters, and four like-new LE5-10 mids. I lost the woofers a couple of decades ago. A long, sad story.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: JBL 4313 question - Bold Eagle 14:59:10 06/23/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.