Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

That's rather presumptuous, isn't it?

There is a whole segment of this hobby that are collectors and really don't play the gear at all. They appreciate it as art and nothing more. Collectors value originality and the market is a reflection of this. You see this with cars, watches and other very old machinery.

My wife collects egg beaters, and if she actually used them to beat eggs I would need an angioplasty immediately.

I do have an HF-81 in my collection. Factory built, all original. I don't think that I have played it for two hours in the last ten years. Interestingly, I would agree with those that say that it is a fine sounding amp, and unlike many, my phono stage does not hum, even with 100db sensitive speakers.

On the other hand, it is a shoddily made amp with very poor ergonomics and an underspecced power transformer and I could never see using it daily even if it had been "modernized". But that's what's so great about the hobby, we can all pursue what makes us happy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • That's rather presumptuous, isn't it? - viridian 10:26:52 06/22/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.