Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Sherwood S-7200 fuses

I suspect the Definite Tech subwoofer you run, if memory serves me right, is a lot newer than a 7200 and even maybe either still under warranty, in production or woarranty ran not that many years ago.

I know nothing about C-V other than I never liked their speakers. What was your experience with them.

Koss, maybe has the best reputatin for customer service starting in about '88 or '89 when it instituted a true lifetime guarantee made and sold after a date certain. While the written requirement is to be the original purchaser and submit a copy of the receipt it appears it is not enforced and a number of flea market buyers of their phones send them in with the return postage fee from what I understand. My phones, sadly were exempted from the warranty for though made after the date, were out of production one offs from their last remaining parts. But other than pads that are available for about $5 for the pair from them, mine have never needed servicing.

The worst in my experience is Eton that now owns Grundig. No service manuals, no service, no parts sales to repair shops. Only honors warranty from registered dealers and there appears to be either none or almost none in actual existence and the registered dealers do not seem interested in selling the product. I have a pair of their radios; one for use and another for backup.

During the warranty period a number of companies would send small parts at no charge or even send replacement parts on exchange to an owner or repair facility. Out of warranty fewer will send small parts to customers for free unless there were production issues. This happened with the original ADS L300 that used a foam surround. The foam disintegrated seemingly just after the warranty ran. By that time they had discovered the issue and the newer model had the same woofer with rubber. When mine let go I was offered either woofer at no charge and decided on the newer. McIntosh and a few older companies used to have silent recalls. When a unit was sent for repair either to the company or a factory authorized repair shop along with the repair changes or mods were done to correct some deficiency that was put into later production runs. When persons get some manuals these technical bulletins may be included or there may be multiple service manuals based on the serial numbers of a production run. I have a Sherwood receiver that has a manual and they issued both addendum sheets to include with it related to the later production changes and also complete manuals related to the production run changes. The receiver I have has 4 manuals depending on the s/n. Sherwood was notorious for this as the company seemed never to change model numbers. My Sherwood SS tuner has 3, actually 4 versions with over its life a substantial and material design and production change but the model number never changed nor a series designation added.

Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.