Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I think I have been a member of the wrong site,,,

Vintage: Something that has not been new from the time I decided to get into this nutty hobby. Any other definition could get me classed as vintage that is unacceptable to me.

Truthfully, it is a moving target. It can be applied differently to different technologies. Do not obsess over it too much but think about the attributes you like and want or do not. For instance with tuners, I have bright line at the analog/digital divide as I am not a lover of digital tuners. For amps, the divide is based on topography where I do the split more on the line between capacitor coupled and direct coupled designs. Turntables are more difficult as designs tend not to change too often or much but rank direct drive in the not vintage class while a newer belt drive has a lineage back to the vintage tables.

Using a time based definition is an easy way for most with something around 25 years being the line of demarcation. As good as any and pretty consistent with other hobbies where such classifications are usual.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

Edits: 06/18/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I think I have been a member of the wrong site,,, - Brian Levy 21:09:45 06/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.