Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Long Journey, Short Trip

Well, I am done. Ended up going almost in a full circle. I started with the HIIs, ADS L300s, Thorens TD160, Koss ESP 9 and a Magnavox CD player. After going through my speakers, equipment, etc. Ended up with the new main system changing the CD player for a Sony dvd player and moving out the ADS. After all the units, the Sherwoods were the best in terms of synergy and balance. None of the other units got it quite as right, even the Sony STR6120 or the H-K 630 that required the outboard preamp to get it to stand out with them. [Update: Last night I ran across sitting on my shelf under cover for the past 4-years the Sherwood SEL-200 receiver. I forgot I had it as it had been sold and about a year later I bought it back and just shelved it. I dumped it on The Smaller Advents Loudspeakers I had just mated on my desk with the H-K 630 and then remembered how good this thing was. The guy who bought it from me had installed the caps I had bought but not installed. Specs are a might better than the Sherwood S3300 and S9500c. It is a modded late version of the S3300 FET/Microcircuit tuner and from the specs a modded S9000 amp. The recovery is conservatively rated at 40 watt/chl Ftc RMS. I previously had written about this receiver that in spec, it might be better than the Sony STR6120 but never paired them. I gave them a brief shootout last night and will say I will give it a thumbs up compared to the much loved Sony STR6060 from memory and even preferred over the more powerful STR6120 and Sherwood S3300/S9500c with the HIIs. A real stepup. The Sony went back to the bench and the Sherwood pair has been pulled in favor of the SEL. It did appreciably better on the HIIs, ADS, Wharfedale W70, Bozak 302a and Smaller Advents. I will go out on a limb and say my suspicions regarding the receiver previously voiced have been verified. BTW, the "little" unit is physically as large as the STR6120 and though only 2/3rds the power heavier. I did not compare to the big Philips 797 as I preferred the Smaller 785 with the ADS and HIIs. I will though as it may be competitive.].

More interesting is combos I ended up with that I could almost as easily lived with. The ADS are most amazing with the Philips 781, even better than Philips bigger brothers. In the event that when I move, the HII in combo turns out to be too big, The ADS/Philips will be the final system.

The H-K without the outboard preamp but replacing the pre/main pins with a set of interconnects that helped ended up with a set of speakers I had not discussed much before, The Smaller Advents Loudspeaker. I do not remember pairing them in all these years having used the SAL along with the OLAs to test amp's ability to deal with 4 ohms. Size wise the system's is larger than the ADS/Philips and smaller than the Sherwood/HIIs. The combo is what I would call a little bit NE and a little midwestern, i.e. Sherwood. I can not see this system as a final but might fit depending on the space.

Lastly, the Wharfedale W70s with the Yamaha CT and CA610 II pair. For you Wharfedale owners, go try this set. This could work as the main final system but I do not see moving to a place with enough room.

None of the amps are high powered, 15, 25, 30 & 40. Metering my least efficient speakers required less than .25 watts so, each fits the power bill with the speakers I matched it with.

I will keep these pieces until I know the future and dump all the remaining pieces.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

Edits: 06/15/14 06/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Long Journey, Short Trip - Brian Levy 15:29:57 06/14/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.