Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

nice receiver -- but...

AlliedKnight333Rx1969

The Allied/Knight 333 is identical to the Pioneer SX-34 (or maybe the SX-34B, but I think the "B" has a meter for FM signal strength rather than them magic eye) and is a good sounding, low powered (ca. 8 wpc) basic FM stereo receiver. It was entry-level for Allied in the late 1960s (one of the last if not the last vacuum tube receivers bearing their brand name).

The 333 uses push-pull 6BM8 tubes in its output section. Note that, if the 333 is in original condition, it will almost certainly need replacement of interstage coupling capacitors; probably power supply (and other) electrolytic capacitors, too.

... but I'd opine that you could chose better speakers to go with it. I don't know that particular model offhand, but - generally speaking (and "all generalizations are false, including this one"!) - the Pioneer speakers were, at best, unremarkable.

At the very least, the low power output of the 333 means you'll want high-sensitivity speakers. There are lots of good vintage - and numerous modern - choices but prices tend to be high relative to your budget. You might like something like a pair of Klipsch Heresys (or more modern Klipsches, depending on your tastes and budget). I prefer the "vintage Altec" sound... but generally speaking the Altecs tend to be pricey.

HTH, as they say.

all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.