Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

McIntosh MC-60s - how do they hold up now?

I posted this over in the Amp/Pre circle & a helpful responder suggested it might attract more informed response here - so I am reposting.

A friend has offered me a pair of McIntosh MC-60 monoblock amps which will likely need some restoration &/or tube replacement. I have been thinking about biamp-ing my Magnepan 20.1s, using tube monos for the mid & ribbons but had been looking at more contemporary gear (suggestions still welcome!). However, I don't know a lot about McIntosh gear - or this model. My main question is whether these amps - even after restoration - are still sonically competitive with contemporary tube amps (selling for around $3000 a pair used). I simply don't know enough about the compromises/trade-offs with vintage gear (even very good quality stuff) to make an informed decision. Google hasn't particularly helped.

A couple of clarifications: If purchased, the MC-60s would be used to power the mids & highs of the 20.1s only (not the full range) - through a active electronic crossover - but whether these amps can handle this load is something I am concerned about. I'm not looking so much for advice on the process of biamping per se as how these amps compare to contemporary tube gear. For example, one responder on the Amp/Pre thread suggested I might be better served by looking at Quicksilver gear - either the V4s or the 88s.

Thanks in advance - & my apologies for cross-posting.

Edits: 06/09/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - McIntosh MC-60s - how do they hold up now? - Scottson 14:29:56 06/09/14 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.