Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Dang! Thought I had it Figured Out

Final decision is shown below. Ended up with what goes around, comes around. I started with the Sherwoods S9500c and S3300 amp and tuner and ended up these are the final puppies in the downsized (?) system. Truthfully it as a complete tossup between the Sony STR6120 and tge Sherwoods. For most persons, the Sony may have won but there were a couple of things that pushed it to #2. First is the physical size, just a huge unit and deeper and too wide to move into what may be the alternative cabinets in the future. Second, the amount of power is neither needed nor used. In fact for some reason the Sherwood seem to produce better dynamics with the ADS speakers. Third, if in the future repairs are needed, the Sony is a new BMW compared to the Sherwoods that are more built like a Model T; far more and esier to service. Fourth, the Sherwood has 2 aux inputs in the rear. The Sony has a 2nd but it is via a stereo 1/8" plug in the front. Fifth, and this is where it gets a bit more complicated. I found when playing the Klipsch, I tended t play them louder with the Sony than the Sherwood when trying to listen at low levels. The specs on both are very close and quite low as t distortion but as there are no graphs I can only speculate that as with many amps, the Sony at very low power has a rise in noise and distortion while it is at the same power lower in the Sherwood. With this trait, it is not uncommon for persons to listen at higher levels more in the lower distortion range but not realize it. Also, I found with a number of recordings the dynamics seemed better with the Sherwood on the Klipsch.

I am talking very minimal differences and I could have made a case just as easily in favor of the Sony. I did find in the end it was even more difficult to push myself to listen to the system rather than the music with the Sherwoods than the Sony.

The end showed that each of the tested units would do well with both the Klipsch and ADS with a couple of surprises such as the Philips 785 amazing synergy with the ADS. This pairing would have won if the Klipsch were not in the competition. The Yamaha set makes for a nice easy listening pair as does the little Sony STR6045 while the sad little KLH 27 (that is a pun), while coming in last is still so close to the Sherwoods it was in the running until preference started swinging from the ADS to the Klipsch defeating the goal of making the smallest system I could.

The turntable is the TD160 with ADC XLM II Super and 'phones are Koss ESP9b. Sorry for the crappy photo.

Thanks guys, it has been a journey.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

Edits: 06/01/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.