Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What did you do to the three big cans on top?

I put two JJs on top and one of the doubler caps.I don't restuff cans.I think it's a bad practice.McShane did a very good job selecting caps and layouts for the way a vintage amp should be done and the caps that people stuff in cans are meant to be in a ventilated area..There is a lot of electrolyte in the old can caps and that assists with cooling.
I do restuff the leak cans on occasion but a dual 100 F&T fits like a glove and there is plenty of room left over for the cap to ventilate. A JJ fits the leak cans as well.
If you look at the original cans in the 500c,there are about 8 or 9 sections.You have the doubler caps making up 2 sections,you have a paralleled set of 20s or 30s which you use a single 100uf section for,then there is one cap off each 470 ohm resistor which did as a single on each under the chassis along with the second doubler under the chassis.The 4700uf replaced the paper electrolytic underneath the chassis.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 05/29/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.