Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: L300s and Heresys

Brian,

One of the more interesting threads in years. It is also reminiscent of my own situation. Slightly over 20 years ago we moved to a condominium. And although it is 2200 sq. ft. on one floor; my "man cave" is relatively small. In the house, I had a good sized, sound treated room in the basement with a pair of Infinity RS2.5's in an active bi-amped set up with the Infinity electronic crossover. Lovely system; but no way was that going to work in the condo. So, in the condo; speakers larger than Advents are not suitable.

Now, I like to tinker, and have been trying this and that for years, aided by a 61 band (1/6 octave) RTA and calibrated microphone. The end result is a pair of original Advent replica cabinets with original Advent (Masonite ring)woofers, and a pair of New Advent tweeters with a very basic crossover. Electronics are all Rotel with an RB1050 dual mono power amp, RTC-940 tuner-preamp, and an RCD-971 CD player. Not tiny, and no phono; but the floors here are like trampolines, so a turntable would be difficult to work with, and there's no space for my 800 LP's - so it's all CD's now. The end result is the pair of Advent cabinets on 15" stands, the Rotel stack, and about 500 CD's.

OK, there has to be a point here. One thing I found, is that what worked in my basement (post Infinity) didn't sound right in my den. The room size and acoustic had a profound effect on my perceptions. I had planned on using a pair of JBL L-110's in the den, along with an Adcom power amp and tuner preamp and an Onkyo CD player based on auditioning in my basement before we moved. Wrong! It all sounded terrible in the condo. That set me off on a 19 year odyssey that was never quite right. At least not until I went back to basics and decided to try a modern emulation of the A25 - leading me to the present Advent hybrids. However, they are tailored specifically to the room and electronics. They measure very well in my room; but have not been tried elsewhere.

I did note with interest, your comments on one of your amps having less integration and giving a different sound stage, so you listened to the individual instruments and not to the orchestra as a whole. One of my amps is an NAD C350 integrated amp. Compared to the Rotel gear, it has a very similar sound; but the imaging is very different, sounding like a mono system with no width - everything is in the center. I measured channel separation in the mid-band at 23 dB in the preamp. It gets lower at higher frequencies. A later NAD C320BEE gives a very good soundstage and is very much like the Rotel.

Best of luck with your downsizing.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: L300s and Heresys - Bold Eagle 20:24:37 05/26/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.