Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: L300s and Heresys

I bought the L300s new at a time I could have just about any speaker then on the market and at the time I was the controller of a speaker company located in NH. As an employee I had the right to a pair of any model it produced at no cost but opted out and bought the L300s.

At the time I had Cornwalls, KLH Nines, JansZen Z824HPs and a number of other decent speakers in the house so buying the baby ADS really showed how impressed I.was with them. I ran them with a number of amps initially including a Mc MC250, MA5100, MA6100, ARC Dual 51, SAE MK I amongst them. I later paired them with the Sony STR6065 in the office.

While those other speakers long ago left the house, the L300s I have never considered selling off and will keep them even if I decide the Heresys will be the final choice.

The Heresys are a different bag and I have a hate/love relationship with them. They are so amp sensitive it hurts. I think you could go a lifetime of buying amps and never quite get them just right. OTOH, when you can match them and dial them in they can really make nice sound at low to reasonable levels. My Mc system was a washout. The HK 630 a bit better but, not good enough to make me understand why Klipsch lovers praise this series as being so good with them. The power amp section standalone with a good preamp is quite good, though. Especially fond of the AVA SuperPAS3x. Some amps like the ARC D75/76 series got the mid to highend near perfect but for some reason killed any bass. I even tried a double set bridged to no avail. The DYNA SCA35 at 10% of the power of the bridged ARCs did very nicely. The 2 Philips receivers seem to marry the sound of the ARCs and DYNA producing that mid to high range very well without emasculating the bass. The Sony adds a veil denying it that ability to provide the fine detail the speakers can produce. This can be good though in my case. With the Sony, I hear the entire orchestra as an integrated performance as you would at a live performance. With the Philips the Klipsch sound is allowed to shine through but, the cohesiveness of the orchestra is less and I tend to get drawn to the individual instruments and lose sight of the performance as a whole. That is my current dilemma I am dealing with.

The easy way out, of course, would be to stay with the small Philips and ADS speakers but, not ready to give up on the Heresys just yet; I have only owned them since 1988.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: L300s and Heresys - Brian Levy 05:02:51 05/26/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.