Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

L300s and Heresys

Those little suckers are ridiculously good within their frequency and dynamic limitations, and will benefit from the best amplification you can muster. In 1972-ish I sold hifi, and we could put the (Braun) L-300s up against pretty much anything; their midrange truth always came through.

I have a pair driven by an old BGW 100B. They still make me smile, and occasionally give goosebumps. BGW amps, btw, are still very good if recapped, and can often be had for a song. Many are still in use in some pretty great studios, and for good reason.

The only receiver I was ever really impressed with was the Mac 4100. Donno if it would hold up today, but I suspect it might. I had lots of that beautiful 70's Sony gear, but none of it sounded that good.

And Heresy's can sing with good tube amps. I used Mac 75s, Quicksilvers, various modded Dynas, and VTL Compact 100s - all good. No, you don't need that power, but you do need a good bottom end, as the Heresys don't do much down there and you don't want to take away any more.

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.