Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: But of course vintage speakers can't compete with the new technology.

Michael,

While I respect your knowledge and its depth and generally agree with you in this case I am not in agreement generally.

One thing that disturbs me is so many speakers today need a subwoofer to get down there many old designs got down there without such an augmentation. Tweeter design in the dynamic driver technology is where I seem to find improvement. Back then high end was purposely limited due to record noise and hiss.

I may have just been lucky having had some of the finer midrange driver speakers and it is here I find new speakers really fall down. It may be as much the crossovers and crossover points as the newer drivers but I find almost all I have heard have the OLA dip and a veil or a lack of detail that is quite distracting.

It seems newer designs are more about the whizz bang than clean, faithful, uncolored smooth reproduction. Of course like all things audio these are very general observations and as I always have said speakers and their sound are very individualistic.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.