Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

follow up re Heath AS-10 to FRG7SWL, Michael Samra, et al

well I finally got around to modifying the AS-10 crossovers today (only one speaker for comparisons). Used Audyn-Cap Plus 4.7uf 800V on first tweeter, an Audyn-Cap Plus 2.2uf 800V on the second tweeter. I removed L-Pad and 16 ohm resistor in series with tweeters. I left the stock 1.1mH inductor in and placed a Zobel consisting of 7uf and 13 ohms across the woofer.

1st listen I had the tweeters in series - holy crap! in my lap way too forward.
2nd listen I put the tweeters in parallel -holy sh*t Batman, they both look the same, but that's it!
It's almost as if the stock speaker is under a pile of blankets, yes that muffled. I could here the plucked bass strings hitting the fretboard and the brush strokes on the cymbals on the modded speaker listing to Patricia Barber's cafe blue, cut #2 Mourning Grace. You know how it is, when you just sit back and whisper loudly to no one in particular " damnnnnnn!"

Bass sounds tight and fast, not sloppy/tubby and overpowering compared to stock.
My system's tone controls are basically the tubes in my gear, no real controls/adjustments.

I never would have believed it possible to get two old ass, paper, closed back tweeters to be so revealing.

just thought you cats my appreciate an update -
thanks for your insights

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - follow up re Heath AS-10 to FRG7SWL, Michael Samra, et al - sober1 15:55:05 05/22/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.