Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Nothing definitive ...

I owned the 1230 for years and sold the 3.6 the last year I worked in audio. So, I never compared them, but spent time with both, albeit driven by very different electronics and obviously in different settings.

If I was to buy one of them for myself, it would be the 1230, but that may be more for reasons of nostalgia than sonics. I really liked them a lot. I listen to mostly 60s and 70s rock and some jazz ...and I listen loud. The 1230s do loud very well.

When changing the gear associated with our 3.6 demo they were more often not to my liking than to my liking. But we sold lots of them, so this is certainly personal preference.

If you can get the 1230s for $500 or so, you can play with them and recoup your money if you don't like them. That's the route I'd go. Otherwise, go with your gut and stick with the 3.6.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dean.

reelsmith's axiom: Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Nothing definitive ... - reelsmith. 10:48:04 04/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.