Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

ADS 1230 vs. Thiel 3.6

I have owned the 3.6s for years and love them sometimes and hate them other times. My main complaints are a somewhat too ripe mid bass (probably more of a room issue) and a slightly rolled off upper high end at moderate volumes (probably my aged ears, but annoying nonetheless.)

I heard a pair of ADS 1230s at an audio get together a few months ago and really liked them. They were in an entirely different acoustic space and were being driven by way different gear than mine, but I was intrigued nonetheless by how clear they sounded. The bottom end was not huge, but it sounded nice. (Note: I use a Parasound A21 amp, ARC SP -16 preamp, and a Mac Mini computer hooked up to a Parasound ZDAC. Room is around 25 x 15.)

A pair of 1230s has come up locally, albeit priced higher than I would prefer. I am curious for feedback from any inmates who may be familiar with both speakers. My gut is telling me that I should keep the Thiels, but another part of me is kind of ready to try something new. Thoughts?...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - ADS 1230 vs. Thiel 3.6 - Jonathan 08:56:58 04/16/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.