Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Early solid state receivers

I am very familiar with vintage Scott solid state receivers. The 342 is a 15 Watt x 2 and sounds pretty good. I've noticed however, the 25 Watt x 2 344 seems to have deeper and better sounding bass then the 342 does. Now, the 342B is an 18 Watt x 2 and has very punchy bass unlike the original 342. I do have the LK-60 and LK-60B integrated amps which are the kit versions of the 260. The amp section in the 348 from what I can tell, is identical to the 260. The tuner section should be identical to the 312B later versions the 312C. The 260 is a sweet amp and rated at 30 Watts x 2. All these receivers use quasi-complementary output stages and have a very mellow sound to them. The later 342C, is a complementary amp, but also sounds quite good. :-) All vintage Scott solid state receivers have very sensitive tuners in them and are great for DX'ing.

I would recommend a 344 to start with and go from there. :-) The 344B may be easier to rework due to the tuner sections not being point to point. Both the 344 and 344B should sound identical as the amp sections appear to be the same. Only the very early 344s were point to point on the amp. The very early 344 lacks a balance switch on the front panel.

Hope this help!,

Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Early solid state receivers - ESDI-80 14:42:13 04/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.