Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Early solid state receivers

Obviousl there is very little more I can add to the postings below. However what I found was that the first generatation SS stereos had a unique sound. A grainy-ish, not very refined sound. Todays stereos, or even the later 70's polished up the sound. For lack of a better description!

Also, and this was already mentioned, the engineers were still "learning" how to work with SS production and design. You have to remember these engineers learned on tubes, then went into the new field of SS.

But one thing is the first generation stereos were built like TANKS!!!! They were built in the old tube stereo style. Many point to point wiring, Big parts, thick chassis, over speced parts, etc....

These units are great to collect if you understand what's involved. Some of them really are works of vintage audio art. And always an eye pleaser in any collection. However, understand what you are getting into. Many people just have them to look at and not use or to complete a collection.

charles

Edits: 04/07/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Early solid state receivers - airtime 07:29:56 04/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.