Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Ahhh...

He was driving them with McCormack DNA 750 power amp together with a home-made tube pre amp, which was designed by a local technician and the Garrard 301 turntable. I haven’t heard it lately, so I’m not sure how it sounds now, perhaps, it’s time to give it another listen.

My Martin Logan speakers were actively bi-amp as well as I used to drive them using the Classe’ or Krell power amps on the bottom end and the Audio Research D-250 tube amp driving the panels. I was using the Marchand two-way 4th order 24dB/octave Butterworth crossover and sometimes the vintage Peavy that I modified to operate on the 2nd order 12dB/octave using the Linkwitz–Riley crossover at 200 Hz. I used to get comments from many casual listeners saying that the overall sound was huge and visceral as if the musicians was playing in front of you.

I’ve heard a lot of comments that Martin Logan speakers sound is not seamless, just to be clear I have never heard the bottom end playing catch up game with the rest of the frequencies or the overall sound was not cohesive, in fact, in my listening room the opposite is true as the bottom end frequency response was just as quick, agile and impactful with the rest when the music calls for it.

I’m sure your CLX is just as impressive and very cohesive based on your descriptions….

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ahhh... - kootenay 20:30:21 04/06/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.