Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I got this email from a friend and fellow vintage radio and amp restorer

Will be interesting to hear his take. My experience is that the EH7591 and their 7868, which is essentially the same tube in the other bottle are both fantastic tubes and sound very much like old stock tubes, both American and Japanese. I have the EH7868 in my Sherwood S8000 receiver and they are wonderful and fit fine in that small space. I have installed the EH7591 in many Scott, Sherwood, Fisher, and Sansui amps and receivers and had zero failures so far. My experience with the JJ 7591 is that I have seen roughly 4 out of the 16-20 I have used short out in a relatively short time period, like the first 100 hours. Now you all know that I know what I am doing and they were all being run at conservative bias settings, well within normal limits. That was maybe 4 years ago. I have never used them since. They sounded fine, pretty much as described in the post, a little brighter, more modern sound. But the failure rate was ridiculous. The EH, on the other hand, have been totally reliable. I don't think McShane will even carry the JJ 7591 since he had too many problems. I wish the original poster good luck with his. Maybe JJ cleaned up their act in the past few years on that tube.

cheers,
Don

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I got this email from a friend and fellow vintage radio and amp restorer - dls123 07:17:01 04/03/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.