Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

How do I begin to clean my 35yr old Kenwood Model 600....

I went and reclaimed my Kenwood 600 from my brother in law on Sunday. I gave it to him about 25 years ago along with the tuner, after trading up to Adcoms. He just had them sitting gathering dust for the last 20 years, and every time I go to visit it breaks my heart to see them.

I bought it in Jamacia in the late seventies from a good friend, and migrated to the USA with it.
The ugly damage on the faceplate was the result of it sliding off the hood of the car, the night I gave it to him and he placed it on there to open the car door. :(
I even have a new spare set of output transistors, the manual and service manual.

Anyway, it is so dirty I do not know where to start. Just vacuuming will not do this, its like looking into a dirty car engine, I just feel like spraying it with degreaser and hosing it down.
So whats the best electronic wash to use, Craigclean? should I do it in sections, or just blast away?

Also, if you have any ideas how to fix the faceplate, with out making it look worse, please tell.
I do not even know if it works, I plugged it in briefly, pressed the power button, the relay clicked in but the power light did not come on. then I began to smell things heating up, so I unplugged it.
Hopefully it was just the dirt frying :)

AB.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - How do I begin to clean my 35yr old Kenwood Model 600.... - ABliss 21:10:50 04/01/14 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.