Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

500c buzzing power transformer

I found a Fisher 500c receiver in excellent condition at a garage sale at a great price. I started to do a mild rehab on it and ran into a problem. (I was planning to replace the coupling caps, the selenium bias supply rectifier and caps, and the B+ rectifiers and caps) Without any tubes, with the B+ secondary disconnected, and with the bias supply rectifier and caps replaced, I brought the line voltage up with a variac. (My line voltage measures 122 V) The power transformer buzzes loud enough to hear in the next room. It was loud enough that I thought it was going to burn out. If I put a clamp across the end bells, or even squeeze it with my hands, the buzz drops to a low level, but doesn't disappear. I measured the primary and secondary resistances on the transformer, but didn't see anything obviously wrong. I am planning to measure the current through the primary with nothing connected, but haven't done that yet. Can someone offer some advice? Is there something else I should test? Is the power TX shot? Or is this normal, and I should find a way to clamp the end bells tight?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - 500c buzzing power transformer - floydandrews 11:53:09 03/29/14 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.