Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Speaker Cable?

The gauge of wire used will depend on the length of the run from the amplifier to the speakers.

The recommendations from the others here are fine; but are in American Wire Gauge (AWG), and in the UK, you will be looking at Imperial or Metric equivalents. To further confuse things, in the US, as the gauge number increases, so does the resistance. Imperial run the same way; but are different, and Metric numbers run the other way - resistance decreasing with higher gauge numbers.

For runs under 12 feet, 16 gauge (AWG)is fine. That's equivalent to Imperial gauge 18, or Metric gauge 12
For runs under 25 feet, 14 gauge (AWG) is better and that's equivalent to Imperial 16, or Metric 16.
For runs greater than 25 feet use AWG 12; which is equivalent to Imperial 14, or Metric 20.

As has been noted by others, look for multiple fine strands and flexibility. If the Pioneer SX535 uses the same type of polarized plugs as the US model, try to crimp lugs onto the wire ends and beware of loose strands sticking out. I'm not sure what the AR7 uses for connections; but if it's the knurled nuts used on earlier AR's, try to get lugs crimped on the wire ends, and be sure the nuts are down really tight. Use pliers if necessary.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.