Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

troubleshooting a Stereotech 1200 receiver

I bought a Stereotech 1200 (McIntosh sub-brand) and had it re-capped, a few blown resistors replaced, new bulbs, etc. It worked fine - beautifully, really - when I got it back a couple of months ago. However, it has developed a constant static in the left channel. The volume of the static is constant, regardless of volume setting, or input selection. swapping the speaker cables L to R & R to L confirms the noise is coming from the receiver & not the speakers or speaker cables. Music will play normally (along with the static). Moving the speaker cables to speaker connection B does not change the static. The headphone jack is broken, so I cannot check that. The noise does not go away when the unit warms up.

So, I took the receiver back to my repair guy, but he is unable to recreate the static in his system. He tried 2 sets of speakers, trying to mimic the sensitivity of my speakers.

Any ideas of what could be wrong? Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - troubleshooting a Stereotech 1200 receiver - dwim1029 07:32:47 03/24/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.