Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Sony TA-E86B + TA-E86N: opinion?

Hello,

I'm interested in buying a very nice set of Sony pre-esprit components, the TA-E86B preamp and TA-E86N power amp.

Preamp has been toroughly recapped with Panasonic FC caps (not what's best i'm afraid but probably good enough?) while power amp has seen a complete replacement of the PLPS power supply with "a better one". Seller, who has a degree in electronics, said he had to replace the power supply after the original failed on him few times. He also said the new one is more reliable but doesn't allow the switch to class A mode to class B mode, so you can only use the amp in class A (what i'm intending to do anyways).

What bothers me is that the power supply isn't original anymore and who knows what wrong (or good) it can have done to the sound, not mentioning the resale value of the amp is probably less than if it was original as well...

Anyways i'd like to have some insight about what you guys think of the pair ( i know they're highly regarded ); I was actually just looking to buy the preamp but when i learned the guy has the power amp for sale as well it had me thinking. Current power amp is a "fake class A" sliding-bias Technics SE-A5 that sounds great, but my speakers being 104dB sensitive I don't need 120wats of power and 18watts in real class A seem like an interesting option. But I don't know if the Sony is a better amp than my Technics; they're both "high end" product from major Japanese companies who had the possibility to produce killer products at a still attainable price.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Sony TA-E86B + TA-E86N: opinion? - KanedaK 04:52:39 03/24/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.