Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Why do I need a preamp

IMO, passive preamp is an oxymoron. Passive control center is the terminology I prefer.

When the signal source(s) is/are at 2 VRMS (that of a "standard" CDP), a line stage with gain is usually inappropriate.

A passive control center can be fine, under those circumstances. For a 10 Kohm passive control center to work well, the I/P impedance of the power amp should be at least 100 Kohms and the interconnect cables both short and low capacitance, as in unshielded. Please observe that the signal source(s) must be compatible with a 10 Kohm load. Commercial CDPs meet the need. A 50 Kohm passive should work into 500 Kohms. The 470 Kohms found at the I/P of some tube amps is OK, but don't go lower. These are examples of the 1:10 rule, which states that a driving impedance of X Ω should be loaded with 10X Ω.

Frequently, the conditions for satisfactory use of a passive control center are not present. Then, a buffered volume control is appropriate, as it provides the low impedance/high current drive needed for long, high capacitance cables and also provides a high I/P impedance.

Eli D.

Edits: 03/22/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.