Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Crossover points

Back in the olden days of 2-way speakers with 10 inch woofers, like the original Advent, Dynaco, and some ARs, typical crossover points were 1000 to 15000 hz. Nowadays low cost 2-ways more typically have 5 or 6 inch woofers and crossovers at 3,000-3500 hz. My questions concerns the advantages and disadvantages of the choice of crossover frequency (assuming the drivers are not overtaxed). Dispersion suffers in the 1000-3000 hz range if the woofer is doing it, but crossing over in the 1000-15000 range makes it difficult to maintain linear response in that frequency range and puts the crossover in a more critical part of the spectrum. So aside from other advantages of the larger woofer, such as low bass response, how significant are trade offs in the choice between the higher and lower crossover points. I have or currently own Advents, ARs, and Dynacos, with larger woofers with lower crossovers, and Paradigms, B&Ws and PSBs with higher crossovers. I find that the latter group usually has better midrange response.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Crossover points - Tadlo 05:42:19 03/22/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.