Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Not me

Sadly, after the 20/20b, the o'scope Marantz tuners were nothing special except the o'scope hype. I never heard the 1250, or not that I recall but, sadly the slide by Marantz started almost immediately after Saul and his crew left and the decision by the brothers to move the company into the mass market niche and away from the hi-end market. They did manage to reclaim some status later with their power amps during the power wars but never again as to the tuners and preamps, though some say the much later Esoteric (think that was the line up's name) did move back to trying to have some high quality and I have seen some photos of even later models that looked interesting.

I suspect that since the beginning of the '80s, the advent of custom ics and,digital marketing engineers have treated fm much as am was treated after fm began to overtake the am market as the main listening source. Today with the quality of the broadcast market being so limited there is less of a market for new high quality tuners when the masses could care less and hi-end is such a small %. Those who appreciate better sound understand that few stations are broadcasting using high speed tape or records any longer and "CD quality" is the new high quality level. Not many years ago, that would have been a derogatory remark for a fm station
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not me - Brian Levy 05:57:15 03/21/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.