Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Here is how I rank some amps I have owned for the 57's

Jim
I remember and some prefer the citation 5 to the two because it's a bit more euphonic in the sense that it uses the simpler mullard circuit and that said,some prefer it.
As you said,it's all about synergy..I use the modern Martin Logan CLXs which are a multi-panel design and I'm running the Cit 2s in parallel,and that doubles the power and lowers the impedance.I'm using them from 50cps on up and the Martin Logan Decent powered subs from 50hz on down to about 17hz.
The thing about the Citation 2 is,you really need to crank up the volume because that's where they show their incredible bandwidth and detail.Martin Logans have depth out to street and you can hear every little element in the music,and it's like you can actually see it being created..I run my Citation 2s only on ESLs or full range ribbons and that is where the amps really shine.
The reason I think you would love the McShaned citation 5 is,you can run Kt66s in it and that is the tube that Peter Walker thought sounded best with his speakers at the time.You might also like the Heathkit W5ms.You can't really crank a citation 2 up on an ESL57 because they are only 25 watt speakers as I recall. The Cit 5 with KT66s might be just the ticket but can't be sure but you can crank them up without fearing damage to your speakers being they are less power than the Deuce.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 03/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Here is how I rank some amps I have owned for the 57's - Michael Samra 16:40:46 03/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.