Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: McIntosh C-20 preamplifier

Yeah Mikey, I had to use those $249 Gold Points because both customers had volume pots that were totally shot. I called Mac and they said no replacements. Online I couldn't find any. So we had to use the Gold points. They sound amazing though. Yes, you have to move one can underneath. I put a plate over the hole from underneath and rebuilt the PS with a pair of nice F and T axials from Jim. I enlarged the other can hole very slightly and then fit one of the taller new reproduction cans up through the hole and put the clamp below. Worked great and looked good. Bypassed with small film caps. Of course redid the whole filament supply and added some resistance to get it down to 6.3. Many K40 caps and some matsushitas. Replaced the whole RIAA, the works. Everything new, all plate loads were new. Both preamps were stunning when done. Although I would still give the nod to the Citation I for the phono section. Line stage on the Mac is colored, much more than Citation, but it is a really nice color and just right. So I think the line stage just depends on taste. Citation I is just totally honest, like the Citation II. Mac C20 has a lovely, dynamic sound. Not quite as honest as the Citation, but you could listen to it forever.....Both customers loved their C20 preamps. My 2 cents....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: McIntosh C-20 preamplifier - dls123 23:26:11 03/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.