Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: The comparison I would like to see

I have no desire to shell out my hard earned money for a receiver that doesn't interest me in the least. Also, when I discovered that I could get separates for around the same price and receivers and integrated amps, I lost interest in the latter. However, I do have some experience. I volunteer for a NAMI Thrift store testing and pricing equipment for them. I test a lot of receivers, both new and old and this is what I have generally found. The newer stuff sounds alright on an easy load, but if driving a tough load or pushed hard, they lose it. They do not live up to there power rating and clip quite easily. Also, the tuners universally suck. In other words, they are paragons of mediocrity, designed to be tossed in 3 years.

The older better brands are built like tanks, sound great, exceed their power ratings and have tuners that rival my TOL separate tuners. I am talking about Denon, Yamaha, Nikko, Luxman, NAD, Proton (NAD and Proton are not built like tanks), and Sansui. Even the inexpensive Technics receivers are better than the new junk.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.